Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just a little insight on what films people like to watch...

I have not officially started doing research or conducting interviews for my project but I do have some interesting information to contribute. I have gotten the opportunity to talk with a few classmates and professors briefly about film viewing. Considering that I have completed three years towards the film program I have a lot of background information I can offer. I love watching movies and make it one of my priorities in life. I feel that you can learn a lot about yourself and others from watching a wide variety of films. Also, certain themes and aspects of films have opened my eyes to how I see the world we live in today. Although most films seem like fairy tales a lot of them have proven to be true in my own life.

I have been chatting with my classmates about new movies, old favorites, and classic films everyone must see. So far it seems like most of the film professors and students watch movies based on the companies and personnel that make the films themselves. The film students also seem to watch their share of guilty pleasures such as comedies with crude humor targeted towards college students. The director and producers, along with a talented cast, seems to be the most common element comprising of film students and professors criteria. Genre is also an important factor but not as critical as the director and producers of the film. One big difference I have noticed is that film students and professors read a lot of reviews on films before they decide if they will see a film. I personally always research films before I view them. Most college students and professors not associated with the film program just watch films based on pleasure. Most college students and professors are wrapped in by the clever advertising that Hollywood films come up with. Films students and professors contrast this idea by researching and viewing more independent films. I love independent films, along with other films students, because they open up the doors to new, unique, ways of filming. Independent films seem to be becoming more and more popular everyday. I think that the film industry is changing ever so fast and I can't wait to see where it leads us as viewers and for myself and other film majors, as future filmmakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment